AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson Fire Capt. Armando Valencia told KABC (Channel 7) that the man appeared to have fallen asleep while smoking in bed, sparking the blaze. A 46-year-old resident with shortness of breath and singed hair told firefighters he tried to drag his 60-year-old neighbor — the reported fatality — to safety but was driven back by the heat and smoke, Humphrey said. Two children and nine adults living in the 10-unit building were displaced by the fire and referred to the American Red Cross for placement assistance, he said. The apartment where the blaze began did not appear to have functioning smoke alarms as required by law, Humphrey said, adding that the building was not equipped with fire sprinklers. Damages were estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $5,000 to contents, Humphrey said. WESTLAKE — A man who may have fallen asleep while smoking was killed today in a pre-dawn fire at a three-story apartment building in Westlake, fire officials said. Eleven people were displaced by the blaze reported at 4:07 a.m. in the 700 block of South Westlake Avenue, said Brian Humphrey, a Los Angeles Fire Department. It took seventy-one firefighters about 20 minutes to extinguished the flames, which where confined to one room on the second floor. While battling the fire, firefighters discovered the body of a man inside the room where the blaze began, firefighter David Ortiz said. The man’s name was not released. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!