Jim Ifko and Un Diamant Des Forets Sparkle at WEF

first_img Subscribe to the Horse Sport newsletter and get an exclusive bonus digital edition! SIGN UP We’ll send you our regular newsletter and include you in our monthly giveaways. PLUS, you’ll receive our exclusive Rider Fitness digital edition with 15 exercises for more effective riding. Horse Sport Enews More from News:MARS Bromont CCI Announces Requirements For US-Based RidersThe first set of requirements to allow American athletes and support teams to enter Canada for the June 2-6 competition have been released.Canadian Eventer Jessica Phoenix Reaches the 100 CCI4*-S MarkPhoenix achieved the milestone while riding Pavarotti at the inaugural 2021 CCI4*-S at the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event.Tribunal Satisfied That Kocher Made Prolonged Use of Electric SpursAs well as horse abuse, the US rider is found to have brought the sport into disrepute and committed criminal acts under Swiss law.Washington International Horse Show Returns to TryonTIEC will again provide the venue for the WIHS Oct. 26-31 with a full schedule of hunter, jumper and equitation classes. Email* On Friday afternoon at the 2021 Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF) Week 5 in Wellington, FL, Jim Ifko (CAN) piloted Un Diamant Des Forets, owned by Eventyre Farms, to a fast and fault-free jump-off round to capture the $37,000 Restylane 1.45m Qualifier CSI2*. Ifko and the 13-year-old Selle Français stallion by Diamant De Semilly x Grace Des Forets, flew across the finish line in 34.74 seconds.“When you have that many [10] in the jump-off in a class like this, you know that you have to be fast if you want to have a chance,” said Ifko. “He’s so fantastic for the jump-off, especially when it comes to making shorter turns and being able to jump something on an angle. He’s so competitive that you can come in on an incredibly sharp angle, and he has no problem. He never doubts it or questions what you’re doing. The bigger the challenge, the better it is for him. We had a good plan and fortunately we were able to execute it and it turned out great.”Ifko has been fortunate enough to have the ride on the stallion for seven years and knows him quite well.“The thing that I’ve always loved about him since day one is his competitiveness,” he said. “He’s always been such a fighter and a strong competitor. In the beginning, the only question was whether or not he had enough scope for the bigger classes, but as we developed him through the years, he continued to meet each challenge and stepped up nicely. He’s amazing, and it has been a fantastic journey so far.”Watch the winning jump-off here!Video Playerhttps://s3.amazonaws.com/pbiec-cdn/video/WEF/2021/Winning%20Rides/WEF%205/Jim%20Ifko_Winning%20Round_2.12.21.mp400:0000:0001:36Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.They’re certainly off to a hot start as the pair is showing for the first time this week after a lengthy break due to the pandemic. With potential travel restrictions traveling from Canada making their plans uncertain, Ifko and his team arrived in Wellington just a few short weeks ago and returned to the ring for WEF 5.“I think both me and ‘Monty’ were itching to get back in the show ring,” said Ifko. “We haven’t been to a competition since the spring in Langley. It’s so fantastic that we’re able to do this back here in a safe way and with fantastic competition.”With 10 combinations qualifying for the jump-off, there wasn’t much room for error as the top six combinations finished fault-free. Carly Anthony (USA) and Hera De Landette II, owned by Portfolio Horses, LLC, finished just off the leading pace in a time of 34.34 seconds. Fractions behind them was Lorcan Gallagher (IRL) and Storiall Blue, owned by Heathman Farm, LLC, who finished third, stopping the clock at 34.44 seconds. Tags: Jim Ifko, WEF, show jumping, Un Diamant des Forets, last_img read more

Read More →

Report: Woodstock 50 Files Lawsuit Against Former Financial Backers Alleging Theft, Attempted Sabotage

first_imgThis summer’s Woodstock 50 anniversary festival continues to be marred by logistical issues, investor drama, and conflicting information from organizers.The latest development in this strange saga appears to continue the chaotic trend: According to a lawsuit obtained by TMZ, the event’s organizers have filed a lawsuit against their former financial backers, Dentsu Aegis Network, claiming that the firm stole upwards of $17M from the festival. The suit also reportedly alleges that Dentsu attempted to sabotage Woodstock 50’s attempts to revive their festival by contacting agents of the booked artists to persuade them to back out. According to TMZ, Woodstock 50 claims that Dentsu implied to certain artists that they would help book them to play at a 2020 Olympics event—which Dentsu is sponsoring—if they canceled their Woodstock booking.In a letter from Lang to Dentsu, which was picked up by various news outlets, Lang argued, “We also have evidence that Dentsu representatives have gone so far as to say that should the talent back out of Woodstock, they would be seen favorably by Dentsu, and that this could result in their performing the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, where Dentsu is a major organizer. In these actions too, Dentsu has acted not only without honor, but outside of the law.”The public clash between Woodstock 50 organizers and Dentsu began in late April when Dentsu released a statement explaining that they had pulled their support were officially canceling the event. Considering the current state of affairs, the financiers determined that “we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees.”However, Woodstock co-founder Michael Lang was quick to refute the cancellation. That same day, festival organizers told The Poughkeepsie Journal that “Woodstock 50 vehemently denies the festival’s cancellation and legal remedy will (be) sought.” Lang later told The New York Times that “They do not have the right to unilaterally cancel the festival,” noting that the cancellation announcement by Dentsu caught him by surprise.Earlier this week, Dentsu officials told TMZ, “As financial partner, we had the customary rights one would expect to protect a large investment. After we exercised our contractual right to take over, and subsequently, cancel the festival, we simply recovered the funds in the festival bank account, funds we originally put in as a financial partner. … Further, tickets cannot go on sale for an event prior to obtaining a mass gathering permit, which has still not been granted. And we stand by original statement made last week.”In the days since, Lang has publicly made various claims about alternative financing goals while maintaining that Woodstock 50 will, in fact, go on as planned. Billboard reported that organizers will need to raise more than $20M by Friday in order for the event to go on.It’s admittedly tough to keep up with the current back-and-forth regarding the fate of Woodstock 50. As of now, tickets have not yet gone on sale and the status of the festival remains uncertain, though it’s still technically going to happen—depending on who you ask.last_img read more

Read More →